Whether it is investigating pattern, the human body’s movement or existential meanings, this show highlights artists who explore unconventional ways to utilize emergent technology such as CNC, image scanning, or drone photography in their creative practice.
Artists investigating technologies strive to learn the limitations of their tools and then how to circumvent them to break assumed rules. Inventing new uses for artistic means speaks to curiosity, and contributes to the history of innovation, which reflects the history of art. It also allows for deeper concepts to arise rather than technology as the end goal.
This exploration reveals the current state of the hand in craft and fine art; one that integrates analog and digital techniques as part of the creative process. Each artist in this show presents their version of honoring both technology and their hands. It is a symbiosis between the two that brings the artists’ concepts to the forefront.
CURATOR: Thea Augustina Eck
Friday, June 7
3-7PM: Tech Trek + Icon Interactive at the Art Center
4-8PM: ICON Interactive Mixed Reality Experience
- ICON Interactive utilizes augmented and virtual reality to transport attendees 200 years into the future. Their destination: New Boston, a version of a city now partially submerged as a result of rising sea levels.
6-9PM: OPENING PARTY
Saturday, June 15
6:30-8PM: Artist Talk
- Gallery walk-through with the Curator and select artists
Happy Hour generously sponsored by
Friday, June 21
5-7PM: Happy Hour
- All Hands Active & Maker Works will lead demos in laser cutting & 3D printing
- Sponsored by Atomic Object
Saturday, June 22
- Come create your own unique and colorful creature with eyes that light up using small LED bulbs. With a little imagination and some conductive tape, you will bring your cut-paper animal to life! No experience is necessary and all materials are provided. Ages 5 and up are welcome but those under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult. This class is offered in conjunction with our Peripheral Technologies exhibition on view in the 117 Gallery June 7th-July 6th
- Instructor: Thea Augustina Eck
- MORE INFO HERE