This summer, join fellow art enthusiasts on ARTBus as we head to Detroit for a day of exclusive tours and experiences at Midtown Detroit’s premier art galleries, including N’Namdi Gallery, Simone DeSousa, the Detroit Artists Market and more. You and your friends will check out the most talked-about exhibitions of the season, meet gallery directors, and get an insider’s view of Midtown Detroit’s flourishing art scene.
Sit back and relax – Let us get you there in style! We will travel to Detroit on a luxury motor coach with spacious and comfortable seating.[hr]
SATURDAY, AUGUST 18
ARTBus departs from the Ann Arbor Art Center at 9:00 am and returns by 6:00pm
This event is full. Please join the waitlist and we will contact you in case a seat opens.
Tickets for ARTBus: $100 for members/$115 for non-members and include round-trip transportation, light refreshments at our first stop, and a number of exclusive art experiences. ARTBus tickets are non-refundable and all proceeds benefit the Art Center. If you are unable to attend and want to transfer your ticket to a friend or family member, please contact Meaghan Clark at 734-926-4123.
• We’ll start our day with mimosas and muffins at the Detroit Artists Market where Gallery Director, Matt Fry, will tell us the history of DAM and provide a private tour of “The Heat is On”, the annual members exhibit, before public gallery hours.
• Moving along in the Cultural Corridor, we’ll visit the Simone DeSousa Gallery to see two exhibits: “Off the Press”, a show of Cass Corridor printmaking artists, and the solo exhibition of Megan Heeres’ bookmaking works. Gallery Manager, Virginia Torrence, will give us a private tour and a brief history of the gallery. Before leaving, we’ll step into the Edition gallery and shop their selection of one-of-a-kind, accessible art and gift items.
• Enjoy some free time midday for lunch and shopping around the Cass Corridor, or choose to join Art Center staff for more exclusive gallery tours!
• After lunch we will regroup at the N’Namdi Gallery for a private tour of their current exhibitions – A must-see!
• We will finish our day at Detroit’s historic Scarab Club where we’ll view two exhibitions: in the main gallery, KRĒM, curated by Stephen Schudlich, is a show of the country’s top illustrators and in the lounge, “In the Air”, the Scarab Club’s Plein Air Challenge that showcases the works created after a full day of outdoor painting around Detroit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are we meeting in the morning?
Please arrive at the Ann Arbor Art Center by 9am. We hope to have everyone on the bus and ready to leave by 9:15.
Where should I park for the day?
If you live nearby, your best option may be to take a rideshare such as Modecar, Lyft or Uber.
If you choose to drive to the Art Center in the morning, you can park in any public parking lot or parking garage and pay the hourly rate.
What should I wear?
Dress appropriately for the weather. We will be doing a bit of walking so wear comfortable shoes.
What if it rains?
The ArtBus tour is rain or shine. If the forecast calls for rain, be sure to bring your umbrella!
Where should I get lunch?
We have compiled a list of restaurant suggestions, both sit-down and quick bite, to fit all tastes and budgets. They are all located within a short walking distance. You are free to dine on your own, or stick with the Art Center staff during lunch.
Do the galleries allow us to bring in outside drinks?
Most galleries will ask you to dispose of your drink before entering or are willing to hold it behind the desk until the end of your visit.
Can I leave things on the bus during the tours?
Yes. The bus will be attended at all times. However, please try to pack as lightly as possible and avoid carrying unnecessary belongings into the galleries. If you plan to do some independent exploration during the lunch break, please be sure to take everything you may need during that time.
Can I take photographs of the art?
Most galleries do allow photography, but be sure to check with the gallery staff before taking any photographs. If you share your photos on social media, be sure to tag us @a2artcenter and #a2artcenter.
Do I have to go to Galerie Camille and Blossoms Midtown?
No. These are optional destinations. Feel free to take your time during the lunch break, visit some shops and explore the area. There are several restaurants and boutiques all within a short walking distance.
Where do we meet after the lunch break?
We will reconvene at 2:45pm at Blossoms Midtown (4152 3rd Ave.) to board the bus to N’Namdi Center.
What if I get lost?
If at any time you are unable to find your way, please contact one of our staff members:
Megan Winkel, Gallery Director: (248) 767-5069
Meaghan Clark, Development Manager: (231) 349-0301
Alison Franco, Gallery Assistant: (716) 392-5464
When do we return to Ann Arbor?
We plan to leave Detroit from the Scarab Club by 5:15pm and return to the Art Center around 6pm.