Public Vote Selections
(Left-to-Right) – “Horizon” by Laurie Borggreve (Edina, MN) | “Kayak” by Taylor Mentzer (Ann Arbor, MI) | “Tower and Tree” Shaun Whitehouse (Ann Arbor, MI)
About the Project:
In collaboration with the City of Ann Arbor, the A2AC led an initiative to refresh the city’s manhole cover designs with artwork. This was done in celebration of the history and culture of our community.
An international open call brought in over 240 submissions juried by an Advisory Committee. The committee was comprised of local arts educators, and professional artists, along with business and community leaders. Following their review, six semi-finalists were presented to the public for an online vote to determine the three winning designs.
Each of the three designs will be produced for two year periods on new cast iron covers installed throughout the City.
Photo Credit: MLive (July 2019) – Laurie Borggreve’s design, “Horizon” will be the first design to be cast and installed in Ann Arbor.
- Ann Arbor rolls out public art on manhole covers
- Ann Arbor looks to turn manhole covers into public art
- What does Ann Arbor think about artwork on Ann Arbor manholes?
- WEMU – Which Design Would You Pick for a Manhole Cover in Ann Arbor?
- Ann Arbor Art Center opens public voting for manhole cover art
- 3 artistic designs chosen to adorn Ann Arbor manhole covers