Sanctuary, now on view at the Ann Arbor Art Center, was curated by the founders of Ypsi Alloy Studios, Ilana Houten, Elize Jekabson and Jessica Tenbusch. You can see it at the 117 Gallery (on our second floor) until July 14, 2018. In case you need a reason to check out this impressive show, we came up with five.
1. This exhibit considers ideas of sanctuary related to current social issues and how the concept can be impermanent.
2. There's a broad range of mediums, from textiles & metalwork, to live plants & bleached bones.
3. You can unlock your own personal sanctuary in augmented reality with the Sanctuary(AR) app, designed by Icon Interactive exclusively for this exhibit.
4. Jessica Tenbusch made drawings. Beautiful drawings. Known primarily for her metal work and sculpture, these drawings are a delightful surprise.
5. This is the third Ypsi Alloy Studios group show but it's like nothing you've seen from them before. All of the artwork was created especially for this exhibit. YAS artists are constantly pushing and inspiring each other so as a collective, their work is always evolving.
Have you already seen Sanctuary? What did you think? Leave your comments below.